Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 11 Memanbetsu to Utoro (Shiritoko NP)


Tuesday 19 June
Day 11  Memanbetsu to Utoro (Shiritoko NP)  90km (total 923km)

A beautiful ride today, with great variety; rolling farmland and off the main road for the first 30km out of Memanbetsu, then straight stretches (with rough head-wind) for the following 30km into Shari, then beautiful coastal riding  along the Okhotsk sea to Utoro. Beautiful!

Along the way, I called into the Shari service centre and got a yummy crème brulé soft serve ice cream. Yum! 

About 10km out from Utoro, I pulled over to see the Oshin Koshin falls, which were very unique and beautiful.  Apparently, they are a famous feature of Shiritoko National Park, and deservedly so!
When I reached Utoro, I called into the service centre to browse at the food and souvenirs for sale, when I bumped into the Lovely Japanese guy who I had met at the Forest Campground, and again in Hamantonbetsu!  He actually came up behind me, and seemed very happy to see me!  We sat down for a little while and he asked about my progress (was impressed by how much distance I have covered), and he said that he and his wife had been at Shiritoko for a few days, waiting for a fine day to take a bear-spotting cruise.  They had done that in the morning, and he reported seeing several bears (Eeek!).

I am staying at the Shritoko Kyampu-Jo site tonight, which is lovely and grassy, with a short and scenic bushwalk nearby with lovely views of the sea and harbor.   It is only ¥400/night and there is a really nice onsen just down the road, which I enjoyed visiting to clean off the day’s dirt and sweat (¥500).

Ohhh, also I went into town to look around and buy some dinner (7/11 sandwiches!), and when I went to the Shiritoko Natural History museum I was met by a very kind and enthusiastic young guy (name), who spoke good English and helped me out by providing some English-language guidebooks, including a “National Parks of Japan”.  He was really excited to hear that I am Australian, and showed me his “Australia” key-ring and said that he really wanted to travel to Australia for holiday.  So, I provided my contact details and said I would love to catch up if he comes to Adelaide.
I managed to get a beautiful sunset photo of the sun setting over Utoro harbour, from the campsite.  It really is a stunning part of Japan.

I was only really planning to cycle back to Shari tomorrow, but 30km might be too little effort for me (!).  I may make it down to Akan National Park… perhaps I should have booked a morning-tour somewhere into Shiritoko… should have thought about it this afternoon!

 Eeep – there are lots of deer around the campsite this evening, making walking, gentle braying and munching sounds!  I know that they are harmless, but I hat the noises in the night.  This little girl was right next to my tent when I returned from brushing my teeth!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful sunset pic! Looks amazing - and the wildlife so close by is awesome too (as long as that doesn't include bears!!).
    Loving all the icecream updates too - reminds me of the "Fanta discoveries" in Cambodia or the crazy paddle pop flavours in Thailand (corn flavoured paddle pop; strangely yum!).
    Keep on enjoying your travels, and I will keep looking forward to the updates...
    -Elisha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried out your awesome firecrackers yet? That camping spot sounds like a good opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, luckily I haven't had to use the fire-crackers yet, and I hope I never will have to! I am being super-careful and always placing my garbage into a bear-proof cage (they are everywhere in Hokkaido) and never, ever, sleeping with food in my tent... fingers crossed that I avoid bear encounters!

    Elisha - yeah, there is heaps of ice cream on offer around Hokkaido. It is Japanese dairy-country! There are heaps of little road-side cafes selling soft-serve along the road that it would be impossible to stop at them all. Also a shame that it is really too cold to eat a lot of ice cream - just today I passed up trying some lovely-sounding flavors in favor of a hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete