Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 10 Monbetsu to Memanbetsu



Day 10 Monday 18 June
Monbetsu to Memanbetsu (via Abashiri)  121km (total 833km)

Another long day in the saddle.  I had actually intended to overnight at Abashiri, but after finding that the campsite was right next to the main road, and having energy to spare, I checked the Touring Mapple and found a campsite right next to an onsen and on the lake-front at Memanbetsu (only 14km away).

So, I spent the night in Memanbetsu, and had a lovely soak in the local public onsen after setting up my tent.

Today had a variety of scenery:  (dairy) farmlands and coastlines.    I stopped at a Service centre about 20km from Tokoro and bought a pumpkin and vanilla swirl ice cream – it was delicious, and even had a sprinkling of toasted pumpkin seeds!  Along this coast, there appear to be lots of these service centres, which have a bunch of stores selling food and souvenirs.   There is always a vendor selling Hokkaido soft-serve ice cream, which is particularly good ice cream!

Also, there was a 25km cycle path from Tokoro to Abashiri (just keep following route 238 out of Tokoro and you’ll find it at the top of the hill out of town – it is well sign-posted), which made for a pleasant change of pace off the road.  I was able to zone out a bit and not focus so much on where I am on the road :) 

The weather was looking a bit dicey through Tokoro, and so-so as I entered Abashiri, so I was not sure as to whether I should tent or stay at a hotel.  Happily, I decided to err on the side of optimism and took the camping option – there was no rain and not too cold overnight, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment