Sunday, June 17, 2012

Day 1: Sapporo to Lake Katsurazawa


Saturday 9 June 2012

Sapporo - Lake Katsurazawa  Distance:  123km

I had a lovely first day cycling in Japan!  I slept like a log on my futon, an had a relaxed start to the day at Ken and Katsumi’s house.  I slept soundly until 8am, then got up with the family for a weekend breakfast of fried egg, bread and coffee.  (also, Katsumi made the bread!).

I was lucky enough for Ken to offer to cycle with me out of Sapporo and all the way to Naganumi. He was able to show me a way along quiet side-streets that I never would have found on my own, which made leaving the city a breeze.  Lucky I left Sapporo on the weekend – reduced cars and Ken was able to cycle this morning!

I had planned to stop at Yubari tonight, but after arriving there at 1:30pm, I decided that I wanted to press on… after lunch!  I had an awesome curry rice at a little restaurant that had a uniquely Japanese set-up – four small kitchens sharing a large dining room.  So, you had to find a seat, read the menus attached to the table (Japanese only), figure out which kitchen the menu with the food you wanted relates to, then order from a girl at the appropriate kitchen.  Phew! Luckily I managed to place my order accurately and politely so as not to make a fool of myself (this is my goal always in Japan, where a tall blonde girl on a bike really stands out!).


After lunch, I continued on to Lake Katsurazawa, where I am camping at a closed-down summer retreat.  There isn’t anyone else here, but that’s okay – there is running water and vending machines for drinks!




I just had cup-noodles and oreos for dinner tonight, overlooking the lake.   The Seiko-mart where I got them was crazy – a whole wall of fridges with single-serve alcoholic drinks, and I found out the alcohol is crazy-cheap in Japan too – a 750ml bottle of Kahlua for ¥1650.00, which is around  $19.00!

I also saw a deer today!  Unfortunately the deer saw me first, and was running away into the forest by the time I heard/saw it.   Still, I am pretty happy to have seen one on my first day!


No comments:

Post a Comment